Richfield Heritage Preserve =
The Camp Crowell Hilaka Historic District
336 acres of winding streams, lakes, and forests that had been closed off from the public for over 75 years. It had been farmed by the pioneer Oviatt family and then became the estate of inventor Jim Kirby. During the 1920s Kirby constructed a patented lake, a mill to generate electric power, a house air-conditioned with spring water, and a dance hall built on springs. Upstream, the Neal family built their fairy tale houses and operated a thriving fruit farm. The land was purchased by the Cleveland Girl Scouts in 1937 and enclosed for the protection of the girls. In 2015, the property was purchased by the citizens of Richfield. It has been transformed into a park for public enjoyment.
Richfield Heritage Preserve is open to the public every day, dawn to dusk.
No admission charge.
The main entrance is at 4374 Broadview Rd, just south of the Richfield Giant Eagle. The Oviatt Gate (aka the South Entrance) is located at 3771 Oviatt Road, just off of State Route 303
The Horse Gate (aka the Summer Barn Entrance) is located at 4225 Oviatt Road, just at the top of the long curving hill. Call the park office 330-888-0511to inquire about the current Horse Gate access code.
The Preserve is administered by the Park Board: Richfield Joint Recreation District (RJRD)
Friends of Crowell Hilaka (aka FoCH. pronounced "folk") is a 501c3 nonprofit advocacy group. Our mission is to partner with the Richfield Joint Recreation District to preserve, protect, enhance, and promote Richfield Heritage Preserve, formerly Crowell Hilaka.
Main Historic Structures
Cabins and Shelters