"The Indians inhabiting the town were the Wyandots and Tawas, or Ottawas; who, on retreat of Captain George after the battle of Tippecanoe, abandoned the township. After the conclusion of the War of 1812 a party of 15 or 20 returned to their former homes; but they were strangers to the land of their birth. They asked permission of those holding their former homes to erect huts to protect their families. Subdued and broken hearted, they again left for the Far West. Their homes were desolate, the deer that constituted their food destroyed, and they had to leave the graves of their fathers or starve."
From the Combination Atlas / Map Summit Co. , OH, 1874